Wednesday 14 January 2009

It Takes All Sorts

Every Sunday evening, as I have just sipped the last of my hot chocolate and am about to take my slippers off and retire to bed with my comforting hot water bottle, a rather clever blog-reporting tool called Site Meter discretely delivers its weekly findings into my inbox. This utterlessly pointless yet fascinating statistical factsheet provides me with non-specific information on how 759 websurfers to date have had the shining path to eternal literary salvation pointed out to them.

Most of the esteemed and treasured visitors who have surprisingly chosen to not (yet) subscribe to my blog find their way to this nirvana of online enlightenment via my Facebook or CouchSurfing profiles. Some test the waters with a curious toe via a link on a mutual friend's own website, whilst others still locate me directly using a search engine.

The vast majority of my cyberguests, however, stumble upon my pretentious musings by pure coincidence. They are lured by the pseudo-intellectual references to Greek mythology or modern literature that Google's keen nostrils have sniffed out from within my wild ramblings. Most of these accidental readers disappear within seconds in order to quench their thirst elsewhere; some stay, dazed and confused by the sheer brilliance of these Pulitzer-worthy scribblings. All, however, leave a trace of their passage, including the original search parameters that led them erroneously to me.

It was one such search request in last week's statistical report that very nearly caused me to fall off my chair and swallow my tongue at the same time, so sharp was my intake of breath. Misled by Google combining one word from my post on training donkeys with a Cannibal Corpse song mentioned in another, one poor soul sitting in front of his computer at 10:04pm on a Friday night was quite unwittingly but very wittily redirected to my site, when his search wording hints at another line of entertainment altogether.

Search Engine: verizon.net
Search Words: equine sodomy videos
Visit Entry Page: http://jeanmarcknoll.blogspot.com

There really is everything on the internet.

4 comments:

Erik said...

I knew you weren't fooling anyone and now the truth finally emerges that your blog is in fact a secret code for beastiality lovers everywhere. Doesn't surprise me one bit you cheese-munching pervert!

On the other hand enjoy your time in Milan and sod those pseudo-fashionistas who spend ridiculous amounts on new imperial clothes. I bet you they haven't been to Chernobyl.

Ryan Wright said...

And the world owes you a debt of gratitude for your contributions to the wide world of equine sodomy. Keep up the good work.

Rebecca said...

It was me. No it wasn't, but funny you should mention it. I actually read about beastiality on Wikipedia the other day, and ended up quite disturbed after reading that there are people out there falling in LOVE with animals.
My punishment for being curious about strange stuff i guess, is finding out about things i rather wish i didn't find out about.

Erik said...

I've had sitemeter for quite some time but never really bothered to click into the bowels of it. Man, it's crazy to see some of the websites and google searches that link into my blog. This is so much fun!