Wednesday 20 August 2008

Word Up

There is bad news for all those regularly exasperated by my convoluted contortion of the English language within these garrulous musings of epic and infinite wisdom (*). The mellifluously meandering river that is my muddled mind is about to break its banks and flood the plains of verbosity.

Responsible for further fuelling the vagaries of my undernourished pseudo-intellect is the magnificent www.dictionary.com and its Word Of The Day.

No longer is my early morning mood dictated by the whimsical timekeeping of SouthWestTrains' third world wheelbarrows-on-rails. It is with a sense of palpable excitement that I momentarily abandon my glass-selling duties in eager anticipation of discovering the word that will shape my fortunes for the next 24 hours. Being informed by this fountain of linguistic knowledge that my nature is in fact 'perfervid', that I am often prone to 'logorrhea' and that I ought to be living in 'Cockaigne' rather than Putney send me into the wildest throes of verbal ecstasy.

That Microsoft Word is showing the loquacity of a newborn Lower-Andean pigmy llama by incorrectly underlining in red all these marvellous additions to my vocabulary only serves to swell my newly-inflated linguistic ego. Not so smart now Mr. Gates, are you?

I am as yet uncertain as to when the time and place might arise for me to sprinkle such sparkling etymological masterpieces as 'sesquipedalian', 'vexillology', 'tatterdemalion' or 'emolument' over this pompous smorgasbord of a blog that I find so enthralling.

But Pandora's Box has just been opened.


(*) 'On the constructive side try not to use those big words and stuff, also try and put in pictures of boobs and cars on the blog, people like boobs and cars.' - Darcy Curnow (Wagga Wagga, NSW), May 22nd 2008.

No comments: